Monday 17 March 2014


Something a bit different for a change.... I bought a book celebrating 70 years of the Radio Programme Desert Island Discs and a fascinating read it is


It lists the choices for a selection of castaways and some of the choices are mindboggling....
Elton John - Shine on you Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd
Margaret Thatcher - A sketch by the comedian Bob Newhart (!)
Frank Bruno - Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea
Desmond Tutu - The charity record We are the World by USA for Africa
Gordon Brown - Loch Lomond by Runrig
Johnny Vegas - Dignity by Deacon Blue


So it gets me thinking about my choices - The rules are simple eight tracks (not albums), one book and one luxury. And so here goes:


1. One Night in Bangkok - Murray Head
The first 7" record I ever bought and 30 odd years later I still know all the words
2. Kayleigh - Marillion
First album I truly loved and named my eldest daughter
3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Still the greatest guitar solo and as a student an album that was a soundtrack for 4 years
4. Last Exit for the Lost - Fields of the Nephilim
Most amazing live experience at the Astoria. Viewed through the dry ice a sea of arms reaching skywards
5. 225 - New Model Army
Lyrically one of the greatest bands ever and this one from my favourite album
6. Welcome to the Jungle - Guns & Roses
This band are the reason I wore cowboy boots and drunk Jack Daniels as a student in the frozen north
7. Crimson - All Living Fear
The sound of the Cavern Club, always dark, slightly claustrophobic but the gigs were great
8. I Wanna go to Marz - John Grant
Stood in a tent at Beautiful Days festival and felt like I was the only one there


The book would be Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams and I guess luxury is a crate of single malt.


No comments:

Post a Comment